The university established in Orléans in 1306 occupied a very special place, as it practically represented the “law school” of the University of Paris (canon law and Roman law). Like Bologna, it attracted large numbers of students, including foreigners. The university was organised into “Nations”, of which the “German Nation” was the most important one.
Naturally, the “German Nation” and pilgrims or travellers of German origin played a decisive role in the transfer of the Lutheran Reformation to the French kingdom. The catalogue of the library of the “German Nation”, first published in print in 1664, gives us insight into the “Protestant presence” in the collection, as well as its organization and functions.